I’m retired

Daejeong, le 9 mars 2021

When I was a boy my dad would tell my brother and I that he would retire at age 60 and he did. After working 34 years for the same railway company, he turned 60 in September, filed his retirement papers and, because there was some kind of a bonus on his pension, continued working until January. He then stopped and never looked back, even though he was asked several times to come in for short term contracts. He never returned. He died at the early age of 71 but still profited from eleven years of the cottage all summers, several winters in Florida and dancing a few nights a week.

I started working at age 16 and did so all the time I was a student. Twelve days after graduating from university I started my first full time job and this working full time, and more, went on for 38 years. I occupied several interesting jobs mostly in developing and managing non profit and social housing both in federal and municipal politics. I never counted my working hours but always took my vacation time. I thought I would work until 64. I stopped at 62 to move to Jeju-do in South Korea. I became an IMOL (International Man of Leisure). I left Canada exactly six days after officially retiring even though I went back to what was my office twice during those six days.

After 38 years of working, retirement takes some adjustment. I thought I had prepared myself for it. The first six months were great, like a long vacation. Moving to another country helps with that feeling. Also, Stephanie and I travelled to Sri Lanka and to Vietnam. Those two trips were vacations. I guess it took a bit more than six months for it to hit me. What do I do now? My wife is working, she has a life. How about me? It was as if my head, my heart, my body and my feelings were in different places all at the same time. I knew I was going to be OK. I knew this is what I wanted but my feelings were all over the place. Maybe I was somewhat depressed, I don’t know. Stephanie was so very patient with me.

This period also coincided with me suffering from plantar fasciitis. That did not help because I could hardly walk. I discovered physiotherapy and Asian acupuncture. A couple of months later my foot started to feel much better and my daughter Annie arrived for a prolonged visit. I think my body and feelings adapted to what I had decided my life would be for now on. I bounced back by continuing my activities taking care of the house, biking and volunteering.

I have been retired for soon to be two years and I am now a happy camper. Retired life sees me very busy. Days go by fast. I do more physical activities than when I was working. I sleep longer and better nights than I have in a very long time.

Three months after retiring, my dad had to go to the doctor. He was not feeling good. He had chills immediately followed by hot flashes. After giving him a physical exam, the doctor said he found nothing wrong with him. So they started talking. The diagnosis was his body needed to adapt to his new regime of life. He did not have his regular routine of the last decades.

I guess my body has adapted to retirement because I am feeling quite refreshed.

2 thoughts on “I’m retired”